Sunday, May 9, 2021

My first 6k Run

This is the run that made me think of blogging about this.

For a number of reasons, I decided to try a 6k run. Some of the major reasons were that I've run a couple of 5k runs before in combination with the fact that I like to plan out my routes beforehand, trying to make sure I won't land on my doorstep at the end of the run missing 10 meters from rounding up to the next kilometer. So as I'm planning my 5k run after only running 2k runs for about a month because i realized I stopped making progress strength-wise, and there's a point in my route that I reach the halfway point and then turn back. But I noticed that the end of that road was only 500 meters away. So as I'm planning my route I think to myself, will I physically die if I run an extra kilometer? This is a thought I make often and sometimes the answer is yeah I might. But I didn't yet. At the same time, this is the first time I hear about something called dynamic warmup. So I search for a dynamic warmup and I find one that I believe is doable, and I actually warm up before I venture out.
I do believe in warmups because I've always had this thing where I stop getting tired once my lungs are warm enough, but at the same time I never warm up. During this warmup, I did have to use my breathing, but it just made my lungs warm so I thought this would aid with the running. So I set out for my first 6k having in mind that I will skip the extra 500+500 meters in the middle if I feel like I can't do it. But by that moment I actually feel like I can do this. So I do the extra kilometer. 
I get to 5 kilometers and I'm on a very steep hill, it's the toughest part of my run, sometimes I manage to run part of it. But it's super steep, the inclination must be 60%, and I'm not even exaggerating, and this part comes after 300 meters of uphill, just not as steep as this part and I feel like my legs are giving up. So I decide that I'm not really looking for scratches all over my face so I take a break. It's the first time since I started running that I actually need a break. I can't even walk... So I stop and sit on the floor for a couple of minutes and I realize that the actual problem is that I'm not breathing. So I pull out my inhaler, spray twice and I'm good to go. My last kilometer was actually one of my favorites. So I guess I'm 5 months in and I still don't know when to use my inhaler. I was diagnosed with asthma 2 years ago, after ignoring it for 10 years, and my doctor did say I should use the inhaler even at the thought of not breathing, but I still don't know when to use the inhaler.

I spend a couple of days before this run researching, trying to understand when running out of breath while running is normal, and up to what degree. My asthma is allergic, so it doesn't happen when I run on the treadmill. Every now and then I'll run on the treadmill and I can run 8 minutes straight before I have to walk for a minute. But out on the street, I can barely run for 2 minutes. 
So this is it. I decided I have to put everything down and research in a more fragmented way and put the pieces together and figure it out. Before I do that I will put down some things down of my first 5 months of running, just because I might remember something that helps out with any conclusions, and then every time I run will be about observation and testing.
Also one of the problems with me is that I feel like using my Ventolin is a bit of cheating. But I have to get over that, and not hurt my body like this.

Here's the data of the run:

6kilometers
1 pump of Ventolin before the run
Needed another 2 pumps of Ventolin @5k

No breathing through the nose since I've been going through some kind of allergic nasal inflammation for the past couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My second hour long run

 I am on the border of feeling disappointed with not having any progress in the last 4months. So I've been running for 5 months. In the ...